Could a sleep hygiene issue be affecting your ability to fall asleep or stay asleep? Dr. Jeremy McConnell of Florida Sleep Specialists in Bradenton and Sarasota, FL, offers treatments and strategies that help improve your sleep.
How you can improve your sleep hygiene
Good sleep is dependent on a variety of factors, ranging from the foods you eat to the temperature of your bedroom. If you've been having trouble sleeping, these tips may help you get a little more rest:
- Exercise Regularly: Daily exercise, even if it's only for 15 or 20 minutes, can improve sleep. Although exercising is helpful, working out just before you plan to go to bed can keep you up.
- Decrease Your Use of Stimulants: Drinking coffee or cola or using nicotine products before bed can make it harder to fall asleep. Alcohol can cause the same problem. Although a drink may make you feel sleepy initially, you may find yourself wide awake just a few hours after you fall asleep.
- Avoid Foods That Bother Your Stomach: It's difficult to sleep if you have heartburn or an upset stomach. It's a good idea to avoid eating or drinking foods and beverages that trigger these symptoms, such as fatty or fried foods, carbonated beverages, and spicy or rich foods.
- Spend Some Time Outdoors: Regular exposure to sunlight helps regulate your sleep/wake cycle.
- Limit Blue Light Exposure: Blue light from digital devices and LED devices can affect your level of melatonin, the natural hormone that helps you fall asleep. You may find that you sleep better if you stop using your devices an hour or two before you plan to fall asleep.
- Improve Your Sleeping Environment: A lumpy mattress or flat pillows may cause aches and pains that affect your sleep. Replacing your mattress and bedding can improve your sleep, as can keeping your room as dark as possible. Sleep.org notes that the ideal temperature for sleeping is between 60 and 67F.
- Visit a Sleep Specialist: Your Bradenton sleep specialist can identify the factors that cause your sleep problems and develop a treatment plan that helps you sleep better.
Do you have trouble sleeping? A visit to Florida Sleep Specialists in Bradenton and Sarasota, FL, can help you handle insomnia symptoms. Schedule an appointment with Dr. McConnell by calling (941) 792-8383 to schedule your appointment.